This post follows on from yesterday’s post which covered African-American Roanes’ relocation to Philadelphia. It also generally covered the impact this move had upon them.
Today I’ll be outlining other branches of the Roane family which moved to Delaware, New Jersey and New York. The move to these states doesn’t appear to have had an adverse affect on these Roane family groups. Unlike the early arrivals in Philadelphia, the groups of Roanes covered in this post thrived in their adopted states.
Family migration patterns: Roane migration to Delaware
Baylor Roane (1858-?) and wife Betty Williams of King William County, VA had nearly half of their children move to Delaware:
- Curtis Elbert Roane (1897-1977) was resident in Wilmington at the time of his marriage in 1919.
- James A Roane (1895-?) was resident in Wilmington at the time of the 1920 Census
- Forest Roane (1896-1986) was also resident in Wilmington at the time of the 1920 Census
- Livius Roane (1899-?) was resident in Wilmington at the time of his WWI Draft Card (1919)
Turner Roane (1850-1894) and wife Molly Payne of Essex County, VA had 2 children leave for Delaware:
- Daniel Roane (1865-1936) and John H Roane (1894-?) are both resident in Delaware. However, it’s unclear when they arrived.
William Edward Roane (1896-1933), son of Bacchus Roane (1869-?) and wife Josephine Harris of Warwick County, VA, was resident in Kings County, New York in 1920 (census) and then New Castle County, Delaware at the time of his death.
Family migration patterns: Roane migration to New York & New Jersey
Oscar Roane (1877-?), son of James Roane (1856-1927) of Aquiton, King William County,VA was resident in Monmouth County, NJ at the time of his marriage in 1900 and Manhattan, NY by the time of the 1910 NY State Census.
James Roane (1877-?), son of Patrick Henry Roane (1857-?) and wife Betty Brooks of Essex County, VA, moved to Manhattan, NY around 1920 (Census) with his family.
James Roane (1886-?), son of Patrick Henry Roane (1862-1888) and wife Martha E Edmunds of Newport News City, Warwick County, VA, moved to Monmouth County, NJ around 1930 (census) with his family.
Thomas E Roane (1902-1970), son of Colonius L Roane (1878-1941) and wife Emma Blanche Bundy of Essex County, VA, was resident in Gloucester County, NJ at the time of his death. It’s unclear when he moved to NJ.
James B Roane (1906-?), son of James Baylor Roane (1883-?) and wife Minnie R Green of King and Queen County, VA, moved to Thorofare, NJ around 1935 (State Census) with his family.
William Roane (1887-1971), son of John Nicholas Roane (1841-?) and wife Betty of Richmond, VA, was resident in Newark, NJ at the time of his death.
Carter Roane and wife Matilda of Westmoreland County, VA, had 2 children leave for New Jersey:
- Annie Roane (1879-?) was resident in Atlantic City, NJ in 1930 (census).
- Frederick Roane (1888-?) was resident in Cumberland County, NJ at the time of his WWII Draft Registration Card (1942)
My grandmother, Susan Julia Roane from Charles City, VA was resident in Richmond, VA with her first husband Emmett Nathaniel Thomas and their children in 1920. She arrived in Essex County, NJ just prior to 1930 with her second husband, my grandfather, Joseph Sheffey from Wytheville, VA.